[syslog-ng] Performance of syslog-ng for Database access (mysql)

Patrick H. syslogng at feystorm.net
Tue Jan 18 04:04:30 CET 2011

One thing that *might* be faster is to write a perl program to do the
inserts. Perl's DBD::mysql driver allows you to use prepared statements
and bind handles, which significantly speed up the database side of the
operations. Both the command line mysql client and the libdbi mysql
driver have to parse every single statement they come across and also
perform permission checks on the statement, which slows things down. The
tradeoff is that perl isnt the fastest thing in the world, so I cant say
if perl+prepared statements is faster or slower than libdbi+parsing.

-Patrick