[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng/Rsyslog "message" differences (?)

Champ Clark III [Softwink] champ at softwink.com
Thu Jan 13 19:06:25 CET 2011

> You seem to want only the message part of the log entry. With syslog-ng,
> $MSG contains the program too, and if you want the message part only,
> you should try $MSGONLY in the template. That should do just what you
> want.
>
> By the way, there's excellent documentation about syslog-ng macros,
> which explains the difference between $MSG and $MSGONLY at
> http://www.balabit.com/sites/default/files/documents/syslog-ng-ose-v3.2-guide-admin-en.html/reference_macros.html

	Thank you for the reply.  I thought I'd RTFM'ed,  but obviously
not enough.  It sounds like $MSGONLY is exactly what I need.

--
        Champ Clark III | Softwink, Inc | 800-538-9357 x 101
                     http://www.softwink.com

GPG Key ID: 58A2A58F
Key fingerprint = 7734 2A1C 007D 581E BDF7  6AD5 0F1F 655F 58A2 A58F
If it wasn't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL.