[syslog-ng] Broken Debug Behavior in libdbi

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Jan 13 16:58:06 CET 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-05 at 18:03 -0800, Matthew Hall wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 06:20:11PM -0800, Matthew Hall wrote:
> > 3) To work around these problems for now I'm going to patch configure.in
> > and rerun autoconf unless there is an alternative proposal.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Matthew Hall.
>
> As promised, a hacky workaround patch is pasted below.
>
> I'd like to improve upon this bad situation, probably by appending the
> user CFLAGS after the custom package CFLAGS to take priority (the last
> entries generally take precedence, AIUI), but I'm not incredibly
> experienced with how this code is supposed to work so I'd like some
> advice before trying something like this.

autoconf automatically adds values to variables like CFLAGS (like it
automatically adds -O2 if the user doesn't specify it in the
environment). Since this is the default behaviour, packages often
completely wipe out the CFLAGS value in their debug-builds in order to
avoid -O2 being present.

The solution in my configure scripts is to use the shell variable
"ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_value", which stores the original user-sipplied value.

This way, those don't get ignore in debug builds, but I can strip out
-O2 unless explicitly specified by the user.