[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.2.1 compile error

Eric Berggren eberggren at apple.com
Wed Jan 12 02:34:24 CET 2011

> I'm trying to compile syslog-ng 3.2.1 on CentOS 5.3 which is running glib
> 2.12.3-4, and get this error:
>
> ./.libs/libdbparser.so: undefined reference to `g_timeout_add_seconds'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

> Using the older API is Bazsi's decision, but I have doubts about it's
> feasibility.  My recommendation is building a GLIB 2.14 and installing
> it to an alternative directory and link to it(see below). If it doesn't
> work, I recommend trying the pre-compiled OSE installers built by
> BalaBit, which bring all their dependencies with them. You can download
> them from
> http://www.balabit.com/downloads/files?path=/syslog-ng/sources/3.2.1/setups

For EL5 builds, I added the following to syslog-ng-3.2.1/modules/dbparser/dbparser.h :

	#define g_timeout_add_seconds(i,c,u) g_timeout_add(i*1000,c,u)

Admittedly, I'm not particularly familiar with this and related functions, nor am I using the dbparser component, so haven't verified the behavior. Otherwise using it successfully with 2200 hosts shooting UDP at it .

Curious what the implications are for this ...

-eric