[syslog-ng] follow_freq for unix-stream/unix-dgram sources

Sandor Geller Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Mon Feb 28 10:56:29 CET 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Aleksei Plotnikov <quadrun at hot.ee> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In "syslog-ng 3.0 Administrator Guide" one of options for unix-stream and
> unix-datagram sources is "follow_freq", which is default 1 according to
> manual. But when I explicitly set it in source
> config to "unix-stream("/dev/log" follow_freq(1))" or any other positive
> value, syslog-ng start to consume all memory and than crashes after some
> time. Also log is full of such messages:
>
>  "syslog-ng[11189]: Error invoking seek on followed file; error='Illegal
> seek (29)'"

follow_freq meant to be available for regular files only so it's
definitely a bug that it's settable for non-file sources.

> and when I do strace on syslog-ng process, it shows:
>
>  lseek(12, 0, SEEK_CUR)                  = -1 ESPIPE (Illegal seek)
>  lseek(13, 0, SEEK_CUR)                  = -1 ESPIPE (Illegal seek)
>  lseek(14, 0, SEEK_CUR)                  = -1 ESPIPE (Illegal seek)
>
> and 12,13,14 is file descriptors for /dev/log. Looks like syslog-ng is
> trying to lseek on socket, what is not possible.
> It happened when I tried different syslog-ng versions 3.0.5 and 3.1.2 on
> debian lenny 5.0.6 and ubuntu 10.10.
> So, is follow_freq applicable in such case and maybe it should be noted in
> manual?

no, it shouldn't be there at all

> Also is it possible to make /dev/log not-blocking to sender, when
> syslog-ng cannot process messages from it. In our case, when follow_freq
> was set to 1, syslog-ng was not able to read from /dev/log/ - other
> processes which were sending logs to /dev/log are stucked too. It happens
> with both unix-stream and unix-dgram sockets. Or is there any good way to
> avoid such behaviour?

The blocking happens only when there is a reader of /dev/log and it
doesn't work so the obvious fix is to have a working syslog daemon
running...

Regards,

Sandor