[syslog-ng] abandon libdbi and write a new sql driver?

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Tue Feb 22 15:48:17 CET 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 13:17 -0700, Patrick H. wrote:
> Reading through the mailing list lately I've seen a fair amount of
> problems reported with libdbi. Given that it also doesnt support
> prepared statements which is a very important feature, I'm wondering
> if libdbi should just be dropped entirely. Libdbi seems to be of use
> to applications that want just very basic sql support, and not for
> anything involving high performance or reliability.

Just an FYI: I plan to write database specific SQL destination drivers,
that _will_ make use of the features the database drivers provide
(prepared statements included).

I might end up with a thin, syslog-ng specific common layer between
these drivers, but that's not going to be a libdbi replacement in any
shape or form. And I think that's perfectly fine.

The current plan is to have an afmysql and afpgsql destination first,
with the rest coming afterwards. I do not have an ETA at the moment, as
this is all in my head so far, and there's plenty of higher priority
tasks I have to finish first.

But I figured I'd let you all know that this is something that I want to
work on in the not too distant future.