[syslog-ng] [development] open questions

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Sun Feb 6 12:40:07 CET 2011

Hi,

I had some distraction in the last two weeks, thus I was unable to
follow the syslog-ng mailing list/emails as closely I would have wanted.

I've finished reading all the unread emails in my syslog-ng folder, and
I wanted to summarize the status quo:

Bugfixes/maintenance (Bazsi):
   * I've merged 3.2 into 3.3 to get the latest changes, bugfixes.

libsyslog-ng-patterndb.so (Corinna, Marius Tomaschewski, Peter Czanik):
   * causes problems on cygwin & SUSE, so probably an alternative solution
     is needed.

   * my current idea is either to use Corinna's idea and put pdbtool in
     /usr/lib/syslog-ng (which I personally don't really like, as /usr/lib
     is not the place for binaries), or that libsyslog-ng-patterndb.so
     should be moved /usr/lib _after_ compilation by the distribution build
     scripts.

   * Marius, Corinna what's your take on this issue?

$(format-json) template function (Balint, Algernon, Matthew)

   * waiting for the generic value-pairs() implementation

   * it could probably be added to 3.2 as well, if value-pairs
     doesn't prove to be risky in itself (or else they'd have to be
     put in the tfjson module).

mongodb dynamic values support (Algernon)

   * waiting for the value-pairs() implementation (Algernon)

   * this is 3.3 stuff

systemd support (Marius Tomaschewski, Tom Gundersen, Algernon)

   * should be more-or-less ready, Algernon promised to rebase it
     against both 3.2 and 3.3 , so that I
     can integrate into both.

LogQueue scalability (Bazsi):

   * I was working on making LogQueue more scalable