[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.2.2 OSE takes 100% CPU after source files get truncated.

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Sun Feb 6 11:24:55 CET 2011

> Why does it cause a spin in this usecase?

It goes into a spin, because even if the file was reopened,
_recover_state() will end up calling
log_proto_buffered_server_apply_state() which will lseek to an offset
past EOF.

I'm not entirely sure why it will do that, however - there's two
scenarios that can happen, and I'm not sure which one we end up in. I'll
test it as soon as possible.

Anyway, being past EOF will trigger NC_FILE_MOVED again, and we start
the whole process again, and again, and again.

Come to think of it, the problem is probably an inconsistency in state,
but that's just my gut feeling at the moment.

I'll have a closer look at this later today.