[syslog-ng] Systemd support

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Wed Feb 2 08:52:20 CET 2011

Tom's message probably didn't make it to the list, due to the size of
the attachments. But since I suppose more people are interested in
systemd support, I'm CCing the list anyway.

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 02:15 +0100, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Balazs Scheidler <bazsi at balabit.hu> wrote:
> > the suse maintainer has created a patch, and that branch is my preliminary
> > integration, but it has changed somewhat since. it was sent in a private
> > email, and unfortunately I simply had no chance to work on that.
> >
> > algernon at balabit.hu may have more information.
>
> It was not clear to me if the patch in your tree is the most
> up-to-date one, but it appears to work fine for me.

The patches you attached are not enough for proper systemd integration:
if you have any unix-dgram() sockets that are not managed by systemd,
syslog-ng will break. So will syslog-ng-ctl in certain cases.

My tree has a fix for those issues, and to the best of my knowledge,
works both on systemd-enabled systems, and non-systemd systems aswell.

It's available (for 3.2) at
  git://git.madhouse-project.org/syslog-ng/syslog-ng-3.2.git

On the 'systemd' branch.

I'll prepare integration branches for pulling this all into the official
tree during the next few days (both for 3.2 and 3.3).

> Together, all of this works perfectly on my machine. Let me know if
> you want help with testing of other patches (in case what I found was
> not up-to-date). Looking forward to seeing systemd support in a
> release :-)

There's an extra few patches in my tree, on top of Marius Tomaschewski's
systemd integration work, that wrap up the systemd support. More testing
with those is always welcomed!

(Especially since the testing I was able to conduct myself were pretty
basic so far)