[syslog-ng] Syslog daemon restart fails on AIX 7.1 in central server

Rakesh Rajasekharan rakesh.rajasekharan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 13:40:13 CET 2011

Hi,

Unfortunately , I cannot recreate that issue and now everything seems fine.
But, I have a similar issue on an RHEL4 machine . I am trying to configure
this as a central server.
But the central logging does not seem to work as expected.
When I check the 514 port everything seems fine.

lsof -i:514
COMMAND     PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
syslog-ng 23505 root    3u  IPv4  72737       TCP *:514 (LISTEN)
syslog-ng 23505 root    9u  IPv4  72792       TCP 20.5.68.39:514->
20.5.68.225:56596 (ESTABLISHED)

But, as you suggested, running syslog_ng with "Fedv" options does report
some errors.

 /opt/soe/local/syslog_ng/sbin/syslog-ng -Fedv
Error binding socket; addr='AF_INET(0.0.0.0:514)', error='Address already
in use (98)'
Error initializing source driver; source='s_remote', id='s_remote#0'
Error initializing message pipeline;
I executed the below commadn on the test machine .

Please help me fix this.

Thanks,
Rakesh