[syslog-ng] syslog-ng Insider - December 2011

Peter Czanik czanik at balabit.hu
Thu Dec 8 15:55:01 CET 2011

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 9th issue of the syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter
that brings you syslog-ng related news.

Your feedback and news tips about the next issue is welcome at
documentation at balabit.com <mailto:documentation at balabit.com>

FEATURED NEWS

syslog-ng 3.3.3 is released!

----------------------------

A new version of syslog-ng is released! There are no new features to
announce, but most problems reported since 3.3.1 should be fixed by now!
Thank you for all of those, who helped us to hunt bugs with detailed
reports and many testing!

The release of 3.3.3 brought many new users to the latest syslog-ng
version, which helped to uncover some more bugs in advanced
configurations. Until a new release arrives, please check the git tree (
git://git.balabit.hu/bazsi/syslog-ng-3.3 ) and the mailing list
archives, if your problem is addressed by a patch.

Sources are available at
http://www.balabit.com/downloads/files?path=/syslog-ng/sources/3.3.3

Binary packages are available are available for several Linux
distributions. Please check availability at
http://www.balabit.com/network-security/syslog-ng/opensource-logging-system/downloads/3rd_party

syslog-ng and patterns

ELSA (Enterprise Log and Search Archive), which uses patterndb heavily,
had some major updates recently, which make it a lot more easy to
install on a couple of different systems. It is available at
http://code.google.com/p/enterprise-log-search-and-archive/

We plan to use CEE (http://cee.mitre.org <http://cee.mitre.org/>) for
our patterns in the long term. But even until this standard is
available, please share your patterns in any form to lower the entry
barrier for your fellow syslog-ng users. If you send them to the list or
directly to me, I'll make them available at
http://git.balabit.hu/?p=czanik/syslog-ng-patterndb.git;a=summary

syslog-ng and the journal

-------------------------

There’s an ongoing project to create a new logging subsystem for Linux,
called the journal, by Lennart Poettering of PulseAudio & systemd fame.
It is implemented as a core component of systemd, thus has a good chance
to be integrated to all distributions that carry systemd. Since
syslog-ng is also in the logging sphere, the logical question arises:
how does this new project affect syslog-ng in the long run?

For the answer, read Bazsi's blog at
http://bazsi.blogs.balabit.com/2011/12/syslog-ng-and-the-journal/

OTHER SHORT NEWS

  *

    An interesting article about extracting useful information from log
    messages was published in Free BSD Magazine (not only for BSD users
    :-) ):
    http://www.balabit.com/support/documentation/BSD_12_2011%20-%20BalaBit_single_article.pdf
    where you also can read about several up-to-date topics, like
    "Rolling Your Own FreeBSD Kernel", "Hardening BSD with Security
    Levels" and so on. The whole Free BSD Magazine can be downloaded at
    http://bsdmag.org <http://bsdmag.org/>

NEW RELEASES

  *

    syslog-ng OSE 3.3.3:
    http://www.balabit.com/downloads/files?path=/syslog-ng/sources/3.3.3

ARCHIVE

http://insider.blogs.balabit.com/

--
Peter Czanik (CzP)<czanik at balabit.hu>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream