[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.1.2 segmentation fault in Ubuntu 10.10

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Mon Dec 5 10:10:40 CET 2011

Luis Pugoy <lpugoy at insynchq.com> writes:

> Does anyone have any insight into this? The segfault is happening more
> often now. :(

I'd suggest either upgrading to 3.3 from my repo[1], or if an upgrade is
not feasible, then if you could compile 3.1 with debug symbols, get it
to drop a core, and do a backtrace, that would help tremendously.

 [1]: http://asylum.madhouse-project.org/projects/debian/

To do the latter, the following steps should work:

$ apt-get source syslog-ng
$ sudo apt-get build-dep syslog-ng
$ cd syslog-ng-*
$ DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="debug nostrip" dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot
$ sudo dpkg -i ../syslog-ng_*.deb

Then add --enable-core to SYSLOGNG_OPTS in /etc/default/syslog-ng, and
when it segfaults, it'll make a core in (as far as I remember) /. Once
that happened, do something like this:

$ gdb -c /core /usr/bin/syslog-ng
(gdb) thread apply all bt full

This should give us a few hints.