[syslog-ng] program destination and init??

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Fri Dec 2 14:57:30 CET 2011

Thomas Wollner <tw at wollner-net.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I had a similar situation on debian squeeze a while ago. in debian 6
> the default system shell is dash and syslog-ng hands over program
> destinations to the standard system shell.
> I changed the /bin/sh link from /bin/dash to /bin/bash and everything
> works as expected.

I believe I know why this happens, but I still need to test my
suspicion: bash has an optimisation, that when a program is executed as
"/bin/bash -c command", bash will exec it (as in, it will do the same as
if one called "exec command" from the shell).

Dash doesn't do this, and this might lead to the different behaviour.

This will still need to be solved on the syslog-ng side, but I do not
yet know how. I'll post a patch or more information as I progress
further.