[syslog-ng] UDP Dropping packets

Aldrich, Jamie S JSAldrich at pier1.com
Mon Aug 29 17:48:54 CEST 2011

Would using "tcp" be a worse option?

Jamie

-----Original Message-----
From: syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu [mailto:syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu] On Behalf Of Balazs Scheidler
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2011 1:29 AM
To: Syslog-ng users' and developers' mailing list
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng] UDP Dropping packets

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 08:56 -0500, Aldrich, Jamie S wrote:
> We are not writing these specific logs to the /var/adm/messages, but to a LogLogic devices.  Here is the syslog-ng.conf file part that handles these logs.
>
> source s_file {
> file("/psfs_logs/APPSRV_current.LOG" flags(no-parse));
> };
>
> destination d_messages{
> udp("10.13.33.11");
> };
>
> log {
> source(s_file);
> destination(d_messages);
> };

UDP is not reliable, and you could be surprised how much it is
unreliable. I've seen udp transports to drop over 90% of the traffic.

It can be improved somewhat by increasing the receive buffer size
(so_rcvbuf() option in syslog-ng, but kernel limits may have to be
adjusted as well).

Google for udp receive buffer syslog-ng, and you'll get a number of
pages that describe the issue.