[syslog-ng] Frontend viewing logfiles

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Wed Aug 17 09:21:34 CEST 2011

@Disclaimer: this email has info about BalaBit commercial products, skip
if this is not interesting for you. I concentrated on the question of
the poster, so no shameless plugs, but some things had to be named to
provide a meaningful answer. Thanks.

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 10:15 +0200, Volker Lieder wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> we have installed syslog-ng-pe with file encryption.
> Is there a webfrontend where we can search through the encrypted logfiles?
>
> e.g i have to set the cert-key-file in a config and then i can search
> the logfiles via webfrontend.

If you mean logstore files under the term encrypted logfiles, then those
are only available in the PE version and can be handled with command
line tools such as "lgstool cat" or "lgstool tail". Other UNIX tools
such as less, grep, perl and awk are handy too.

$ lgstool cat /var/log/messages.lgs | grep "regexp" | less

or

$ lgstool tail -f /var/log/messages.lgs | grep "regexp"

syslog-ng PE is the same "good old" syslog-ng. It has a very narrow
scope: you will have to edit the configuration files directly and handle
the log files with your own tools, just like with the Open Source
version.

If you want more than that, then that product is the syslog-ng Store
Box.

It would probably be possible to provide a web frontend for the PE
version, but BalaBit has not done that, and is not in the current plans
either (since that is SSB in our eyes).