[syslog-ng] Struggling with regexp, store-matches and csv-parser macros

Remy Zandwijk remy at luckyhands.nl
Fri Aug 5 14:08:02 CEST 2011

Hi list,

so, I am new to syslog-ng and I am struggling with the features
regexp/store-matches and csv-parser macros. I searched the web and mailinglist
archive for these two subjects, but that didn't answer my questions. The
syslog-ng 3.1.3 I'm using is running on Debian Squeeze.

filter f_mytest {
     facility(local0) and
     level(debug) and
     match("^www" value("MSGHDR") flags("store-matches"));
};

template t_mytest {
     template("${MSG}--${1}\n");
}

destination d_mytest {
     file("/var/tmp/mytest.log");
};

log {
     source(s_src);
     filter(f_mytest);
     template(t_mytest);
     destination(f_mytest);
};

When I send a message to syslog-ng with: logger -p local0.debug -t www testmessage
nothing appears in the logfile. However, when flags("store-matches") is
omitted, the message appears like expected. Why does this filter not work?

I am playing around with the csv-parser function as well. The (user-defined)
macros can be used in file() functions, but I found out that they don't work
in owner() and group() functions. Is that expected?

Thanks,
Remy