[syslog-ng] Solaris 10 UDP overflows, message drops

Fekete Robert frobert at balabit.hu
Fri Apr 29 08:51:58 CEST 2011

Hi,

UDP is a connection-less protocol, meaning that the sender has no knowledge if
the messages reach the destination or not. In the perspective of flow-control,
this means the following (someone please correct me if I'm wrong):

- when using flow-control on the client that sends messages via UDP,
flow-control can slow down reading messages from the client's sources if the
client cannot send out the messages fast enough. But the client does not know
(hence it cannot slow down) if the server cannot handle the messages it receives.

- when using flow-control on the server that receives UDP messages, flow-control
can slow down reading from the server's sources (thus probably cause the server
to drop UDP messages) if the destination on the server (file, database,
whatever) cannot handle the messages send to the destination fast enough.

Robert