[syslog-ng] versioning and maintenance

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Mon Apr 25 14:09:36 CEST 2011

Balazs Scheidler <bazsi at balabit.hu> writes:

> On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 10:50 -0400, Fred Connolly wrote:
>> Sounds like a good plan to me Bazsi and makes perfect sense.
>>  I never understood why there were so many different versions and
>> don't see how you supported all of those at once.
>
> thanks. any other opinions?

I'm on the same opinion as Fred, mostly at least.

The one thing I'd ask about is the stable branches in the future. Stable
branches are of course great and needed, but what would be the policy
for getting code into stable? Bugfixes only, or would some minor/trivial
features be allowed aswell?

The main reason I ask this, is because if the syslog-ng team at Balabit
will base their work on the stable branch, then wouldn't it be easier to
delegate the stable branch's maintainance to them? (Or to the support
team, since they'll be fixing stuff reported by Balabit clients anyway;
backporting fixes from the devel branch to stable is - in my opinion -
not that huge of an additional task, either.)

That way, you could focus on development, and leave the boring
maintainance to those who already do something similar. :)

This only works though, if the stable branch is bugfix-only.

> * I plan to announce a feature freeze for 3.3 and publish a beta
> version. And at the same time open the 3.4 branch for integrating all
> the stuff which has accumulated on the mailing list.

(Imagine cute puppy eyes here:) Would it be possible to get the
value-pairs() & afmongodb updates in before the feature freeze? O:)