[syslog-ng] Question about syntax for source

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Fri Apr 15 20:40:38 CEST 2011

Robert Fekete <frobert at balabit.com> writes:

>> The intent has always been to use pipe() for named pipes, and file()
>> for
>> everything else.
>>
>> I'm now thinking about introducing a device() destination/source
>> which
>> would be equivalent to file(), but follow_freq() would not be
>> allowed.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
> Sorry if I'm missing something, but do we really need a separate driver
> that is almost entirely the same as another one?

It's not a separate driver, it'd be syntactic sugar only. Meaning, that
device("/dev/klog") would be exactly the same as file("/dev/klog"
follow_freq(0)), just easier to write, and device() can have additional
restrictions like not allowing follow_freq().

(At least, that's how I understood it - a completely separate thing
wouldn't make much sense, indeed)