[syslog-ng] syslog-ng and IPv6 Interface Binding

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Tue Apr 5 18:11:35 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 11:25:49PM +1000, Reuben Farrelly wrote:
> Looks like the problem I was seeing was that quotes are required for
> specifying IPv6 addresses, but are not required for IPv4 addresses.  For
> example this config loads fine:
>
> source net {
>          tcp6( ip("2001::20") port(514) max_connections(25) );
>          udp6( ip("2001::20") port(514) );
>          tcp( ip(192.168.10.12) port(514) max_connections(25) );
> };
>
> Perhaps this can be added to the admin guide, as the behavior of this
> parameter is inconsistent, at least, between v4 and v6.

There is probably a small glitch in the grammar definition.

Technically it usually allows strings to be quoted or unquoted.

I always quote mine because otherwise some characters confuse the parser.

Personally if it were me who maintained the parser I would be very strict and never allow any unquoted values.

But I'm a bit radical about input validation because I work in InfoSec.

Matthew.