[syslog-ng] syslog-ng and IPv6 Interface Binding

Reuben Farrelly reuben-syslogng-list at reub.net
Tue Apr 5 14:55:19 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've recently upgraded from syslog-ng 3.1 to syslog-ng 3.2.2 and I'm
having limited success with my modified config in getting syslog-ng to
bind to only specific IPv6 IP addresses.

At the moment I have this in my config:

source net {
         tcp6( port(601) );
         udp6( port(601) );
};

However I'd like to configure this slightly differently - namely to
increase the maximum connections from 10 to 25 and also to bind to only
certain IPv6 addresses, as the box has multiple.

I was hoping for a config like this (IPv6 address truncated somewhat):

source net {
         tcp6( ip(2001::20) port(601) max_connections(25) );
         udp6( ip(2001::20) port(601) max_connections(25) );
};

But seems to be a no-go:

-----

Error parsing afsocket, syntax error, unexpected LL_NUMBER, expecting
LL_IDENTIFIER or LL_STRING in /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf at line 32,
column 18:

         tcp6( ip(2001::20) port(601) max_connections(25) );
                  ^^^^
-----

Neither the max_connections() NOR the ip() options are accepted nor is
the use of localip() for IPv6.

http://www.balabit.com/sites/default/files/documents/syslog-ng-ose-v3.2-guide-admin-en.html/reference_source_tcpudp.html
does not specifically mention if this command is meant to work under
IPv6 or not, but it's reasonable I think to assume it would given the
title of the page.

Can someone please provide me with the relevant part of a working config
in which I can specify the IPv6 interface address(es) I want syslog-ng
to listen on, or have I run into a bug?

The sample config files that ship with the package also seem a bit out
of date, and the example at the bottom of s6.1.7 in the manual would be
100x more useful if it also included some IPv6 examples.

Thanks,
Reuben