[syslog-ng] vsftpd login/login failure events

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Wed Sep 29 13:35:27 CEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 14:42 +0200, Peter Czanik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 09/23/2010 06:07 PM, Peter Czanik wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Attached are the vsftpd login/login failure events I found. There was no
> > trace of logout in the logs.
> >
> One more rule, for a situation not addressed yesterday: invalid username:
>
> HOST=linux-6y8u
> MESSAGE=gkr-pam: error looking up user information for: asdf
> PROGRAM=vsftpd
> PID=1
> LEGACY_MSGHDR=vsftpd[1]:
> .classifier.class=system
> .classifier.rule_id=ac8c7834-c7d5-11df-bb3c-000c298c9ba2
> usracct.username=asdf
> usracct.type=login
> usracct.sessionid=1
> usracct.application=vsftpd
> secevt.verdict=REJECT
>
>       <rule provider="patterndb"
> id="ac8c7834-c7d5-11df-bb3c-000c298c9ba2" class="system">
>         <patterns>
>           <pattern>gkr-pam: error looking up user information for:
> @ANYSTRING:usracct.username@</pattern>
>         </patterns>
>         <examples>
>           <example>
>             <test_message>gkr-pam: error looking up user information
> for: asdf</test_message>
>             <test_values>
>               <test_value name="usracct.username">asdf</test_value>
>             </test_values>
>           </example>
>         </examples>
>         <values>
>           <value name="usracct.type">login</value>
>           <value name="usracct.sessionid">$PID</value>
>           <value name="usracct.application">$PROGRAM</value>
>           <value name="secevt.verdict">REJECT</value>
>         </values>
>         <tags>
>           <tag>usracct</tag>
>           <tag>secevt</tag>
>         </tags>
>       </rule>

Applied. Some notes:

  * test_message should contain a program="programname" attribute in
order for pdbtool test actually try to test the pattern
  * ANYSTRING should be avoided where possible: it eats up the complete
remainder of the message
  * the fastest solution is usually using the ESTRING parser, I'm
thinking about changing the parser syntax to make it easier to use
type-specific parsers but currently the best bet is to use the @ESTRING@
parser if there's a definite ending of the value in question.

One question: you sent a generic user login failure message and another
with more specific information. Are these happening right after the
other, or only one of them is displayed?