[syslog-ng] Buffering AF_UNIX Destination, Batch Post Processing Messages

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 23:35:38 CEST 2010

> It was this exact part of the problem which motivated my mails. I have
> been unable to think of a good way to pull things out of a pipe, socket,
> etc. in 60 second batches in such a way that I could keep pulling into
> the new batch, while processing the last batch, without forgetting all
> of the statistics I had collected in between.

Ah, ok, I think I see what you mean.  Almost everything I do is
forked/threaded, and I have just grown accustomed to doing all state
maintenance through a database.  So, what do you actually need to
retain from batch to batch?  I'm assuming it's not the entirety of the
raw data, right?  Otherwise you'd certainly have to write it to file
or DB.  So, if it's some basic numbers, can you just write the
summaries to a DB?  I've taken lately to creating simple tables with
just an ID and a BLOB column and writing JSON-serialized blobs to
synchronize my workers to get a kind of pseudo-noSQL.  I use a DB
because it takes care of all of the transactional locking for me.