[syslog-ng] syslog-ng on Solaris 10

syslogng at feystorm.net syslogng at feystorm.net
Fri Sep 3 16:29:42 CEST 2010

We need a FAQ item on this :-P

Anyway, the first process is a monitor process. When syslog-ng starts
itself up, it forks a copy off. The fork becomes the worker while the
first monitors the worker and restarts it if it crashes. On some OSs and
or ps arguments will show the first process as a different name
"supervising syslog-ng", but yours apparently does not.

As for questions 2 & 3, that depends on where you got your svc manifest
file from and whats in it. You can also kill -HUP the syslog-ng process
to get it to reload the config. This is desired over disable/enable as
it doesnt shut the process down.

-Patrick