[syslog-ng] Insert hostname instead of overwrite ?

Lance Laursen lance at demonware.net
Fri Sep 3 02:28:46 CEST 2010

Hmm. Well, if you can't put an intermediary syslog server with use_dns
enabled between your Dell app and the load balancer, I think you're outta
luck. If the log message doesn't contain a hostname, and the sending IP is
that of the load balancer, then syslog really has no way to know where the
message came from. You could write Dell and ask them to conform to RFC
syslog standards but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon :).
The only other thing I can think of is that if you only have one dell
openManage box, you could filter for something specific to those logs then
apply a static hostname using a template. But that method sucks and doesn't
work as soon as you have two openManage boxes forwarding syslogs.

Lance Laursen
Demonware Systems Engineer