[syslog-ng] Thoughts on patterndb syntax

Bill Anderson Bill.Anderson at bodybuilding.com
Thu Oct 21 15:36:44 CEST 2010

On Oct 20, 2010, at 8:59 PM, Martin Holste wrote:

>> When this occurs throughout the ruleset, and multiple times within a
>> single message, it really lowers the readability of the rules.
>
> I guess for me, readability is pretty far down on the list of features
> I want poor Bazsi slaving away on, and that's mainly because pdbtool
> does such a good job of verifying that my patterns match on exactly
> what I think they do.  The other thing is that I think a lot of us are
> planning on using patternize to do auto pattern generation, and so if
> all goes to plan, humans won't have to be looking at these very often.
> On the other hand, I recognize that the easier it is to author rules,
> the more community contribution there will be.

A few things that IMO would help with this would be:
1) LETTERS - like STRING but ONLY matches on letters
2) Ability to set @ESTRING delimiter to be \t. Right now to get it to work I use vim and Ctrl-V <tab> to insert a literal tab. Using \t doesn't work.
3) Partial match. From my experimentation it seems that to get a match you have to describe the entire message. If it isn't too much a performance hit I'd like to be able to declare a rule to be a partial match. Currently I can define everything up to the match and @ANYSTRING the remainder, but it feels ... off.

The way I read the ability that Lars listed, defining a pattern and then re-using it could be very powerful in that it could enable essentially a grammar. For example I have a set of clusters that all use tab delimited logs messages and the first N fields are the same. While it would certainly be more readable to have a "sub-pattern" that I could use to start each rule with that, it would also seem to be more expressive. Then again I am currently working heavily with Apache access logs and looking to see what I can tease out ability-wise with patterndb. Thus my use case may not be that common. Yet.

Cheers,
Bill