[syslog-ng] pdbtool patternize update and my syslog-ng 3.2 branch

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Sat Oct 16 13:20:23 CEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 11:38 -0700, Matthew Hall wrote:
> Further investigation reveals that the syslog-ng daemon and
> libsyslog-ng.so appear to be linking only against libc and its friends.
> However pdbtool's linking against a truckload of external libraries as
> shown before. It seems that the link logic is not consistent across
> different binaries.

pdbtool immediately links against the libdbparser plugin, as it uses
some symbols in addition to the standard syslog-ng plugin interface.
Also pdbtool depends on libssl because it uses the random generator to
generate uuids.

Also, syslog-ng starts early in the boot process and it was meant to be
loaded without libssl for instance. With pdbtool only used when the
system is up and running no such effort was made.

But anyway the easiest way to distribute syslog-ng binaries between
different boxes is to do something similar to what we do, e.g. compile
everything into the same prefix and copy the whole structure.

One thing caught my attention, you couldn't compile it on RHEL4/5? Why?
I'd love to investigate if there's a problem there.