[syslog-ng] UDP packet loss with syslog-ng

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 23:27:37 CEST 2010

Ah, so it's not a real file, it's part of awk.  That explains it.

Ok, maybe even easier than running tcpdump for DNS would be to just
swap $FULLHOST_FROM with $SOURCEIP and see if that improves things.
Two more things to look at: what is the CPU % when it's running, and
if you strace it what syscalls does it seem to be doing the most?
Gettimeofday should be in there quite a bit, but sometimes calls you
didn't expect jump out and show what's blocking.

You really shouldn't have to post-process with syslog-ng; there's got
to be something wrong.  I also find your raw socket numbers to be
lower than I'd expect.  I would expect 0 loss through 10k mps at
least.