[syslog-ng] UDP packet loss with syslog-ng

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at oddbit.com
Fri Oct 15 23:11:21 CEST 2010

> Actually, you did not say it in your message. Because searching it for
> the string 'buf' returns no results.

Look, I'm not trying to be difficult, but I do at least expect people
to read my email before responding.  Here, I'll quote it for you:

  If I raise the rmem settings like this:

   net.core.rmem_default = 512000
   net.core.rmem_max = 1024000

  Then it looks like I can support messages rates around 1000 msgs/sec.
  If I try with 2000 msgs/sec, the loss rates jumps up again (to around
  30%).

I'm sorry if you got bored before reading it.  I was trying to provide
sufficient details that people wouldn't suggest the things I've
already tried.

Additionally, as far as I can tell, setting net.core.rmem_default is
largely equivalent, from the point of view of syslog-ng, to setting
so_rcvbuf() (since it sets the default receive buffer size).  On a
system with lots of open sockets, setting a lower
net.core.rmem_default and using so_rcvbuf() would probably make more
sense.