[syslog-ng] UDP packet loss with syslog-ng

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at oddbit.com
Fri Oct 15 23:01:27 CEST 2010

> file. What network adapter and Ethernet driver does the machine use?

This is a Dell R610, which reports:

  Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
Gigabit Ethernet

The kernel is using the "bnx2" driver.  There doesn't appear to be a
problem getting packets from the network to a user space program like
awk or netcat.

> Which operating system?

Linux (CentOS 5.5).

> Did you try tweaking:
>
> log_fetch_limit()
> so_rcvbuf()
> so_sndbuf()

A little.  It wasn't clear from the documentation how so_rcvbuf()
interacts with the kernel settings (net.core.rmem_default and
net.core.rmem_max).  My naive assumption is that setting so_rcvbuf()
is largely the same as setting net.core.rmem_default (but with a more
local impact).  Trying various values for log_fetch_limit() didn't
appear to have much impact on things, but absent some guidance on what
would constitute sensible numbers I was sort of flailing around.

> Do you know for sure that when 'loggen' says it's creating X msgs/sec,
> that this reading is actually accurate?

Yes.

> Can you profile syslog-ng using
> oprofile or the various built in profiling and debugging options in its
> configure script? Can you check if the CFLAGS look good?

I'm using the binary packages from balabit.com.  If these aren't
optimally built, I'm looking at the wrong product.