[syslog-ng] error in syslog-ng 3.2alpha2: missing m4 macros directory

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Oct 15 21:57:48 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 11:37 +0200, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Le 06/10/2010 15:40, Balazs Scheidler a écrit :
> > On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 23:01 +0200, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> configure.in has this macro:
> >> AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])
> >>
> >> However, the m4 directory doesn't exist. As a consequence, running
> >> 'autoreconf' fails immediatly. I guess it's just missing, as previous
> >> release had it.
> >
> > Right. I've fixed this in the git tree already. Could you try using a
> > git snapshot?
> I just tried, the tree still doesn't have any m4 directory...

that's right, it is not in git, it only gets generated by autoreconf.

> > No need to use a git client, the gitweb interface is able to generate a
> > tar.gz on the fly:
> >
> > http://git.balabit.hu/?p=bazsi/syslog-ng-3.2.git;a=snapshot;h=master
> >
> > In order to make syslog-ng compile from the git snapshot, rather than a
> > tar.gz, you'll a couple more tools, like (IIRC):
> >
> >   * bison 2.4.1
> >   * automake/autoconf/libtool
> >
> > Once you have those you should run ./autogen.sh from the source tree,
> > then you'll have everything starting with a configure script to compile
> > it.
> Excepted the hack on PKG_CONFIG minimal version, autoreconf should work
> as well.
>
> Anyway, I just realized I didn't need to regenerate autotools toolchain,
> as my patch doesn't impact any relevant file. Here it is, its goal is
> just to ensure than syslog-ng doesn't create files directly under
> $localstatedir directory, which is actually /var, but only under its own
> specific directory, $localstatedir/lib/syslog-ng. It avoid the need to
> override configure defaults through --localstatedir option, as does the
> spec file shipped in the tree.

A couple of releases ago, I got complaints from distribution maintainers
about trying to be smart wrt installation layout in the configure
script. Therefore the "official" way to change the layout is via the
configure command line options.

You can see what we're using when building binaries in tgz2build/rules,
but of course you can also use the spec file or the debian packaging.