[syslog-ng] Windows event logs vs syslog format

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Wed Oct 13 00:55:55 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 04:21:48PM -0600, Jerry Riedel wrote:
> Another odd thing that does not appear to be related; syslog-ng
> created additional folders for my two Windows servers in the /HOSTS
> folder, this time with the name in all_lower_case and is now putting
> some of the server log files into one and some into the other!

Probably happening because the host name is showing up in different
capitalizations in the messages and UNIX has case sensitive file names
so these capitalization differences appear to be different strings when
UNIX opens up the files to write out the logs. Try logging to dirs based
on the host IP instead of the host name.

> It would be nice if there was a configuration switch to tell syslog-ng
> that the host in question was a Windows host and deal with the format
> accordingly.

If only it were so simple! But Windows does not even support Syslog
without proprietary plugins, and nobody agrees which one to use, so
there are several and every one of them sends a different format of
message.

> While I realize that the Windows event log format does
> not match the syslog standard, the free version of EventLogAnalyzer
> and Kiwi syslog server handle Windows format event logs from Datagram
> Syslog Agent with no problem.

Sure they do, for one Syslog agent. But there are many of them and none
of them agree. Thank Microsoft for their ingenious decision to release a
logging system which supports zero standard and interoperable logging
protocols out of the box, thus leading to a proliferation of competing
and incompatible solutions to the same exact problem, hand hacked and
manually installed, over and over and over again.

I understand your frustrations 100% as I'm up against the same issues
over here, but let's put credit and discredit where it's due and not
just blame Balabit and the syslog servers by default.

> Jerry

Cheers,
Matthew.