[syslog-ng] syslog-ng OSE 3.2 administrator guide draft

Fekete Robert frobert at balabit.hu
Fri Oct 8 14:57:11 CEST 2010

Hi,

For a couple of days now I have been working on the administrator guide for the
upcoming syslog-ng Open Source Edition 3.2.
So far, mostly I have taken the original 3.1 guide apart, and restructured it so
that - hopefully - it is easier to use and find relevant information. The
structure of the guide is now feature-based, after a brief theoretical
introduction about how syslog-ng works and a not-yet-finished quickstart part
the chapters focus on the different features, and all information related to a
feature is available in the chapter - concepts, configuration, and options
reference.

Some of the new features of 3.2 are already documented, for example, global
variables, the pacct() and system() drivers, and using code blocks. Of course,
there are many things to do: the configuration syntax sections are under
construction and need cleanup, SCLs and modules should be documented (though
some of that will probably go to a developer doc or wiki), and some new features
(correlation, patternize, an update on the patterndb project, ...) are missing
as well.

It is still an early draft, but if you have some time, please take a look and
comment on the new structure - any feedback is welcome. The draft is available
at http://people.balabit.hu/frobert/syslog-ng-ose-v3.2-guide-admin-en-draft.pdf

Regards,

Robert