[syslog-ng] patterndb license?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Oct 1 15:21:15 CEST 2010

Hi,

I was wondering what kind of license should be applied to patterndb
patterns. GPL doesn't really apply as it is not software.

I was thinking about Creating Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license,
which:

  * allows redistributions of the work with proper attribution
  * allows changes as long as the changes are available under the same
license
  * allows commercial usage (e.g. free even for commercial entities)

Adding the "nc" e.g. non-commercial flag was considered and then
dropped. We feel that most people trying to use patterndb would
definitely use it in a commercial setting and we wouldn't like to limit
our users to academia a private use.

What do you think?