[syslog-ng] hostname incorrect after upgrade to 3.1.2

w3euu w3euu at arrl.net
Mon Nov 29 14:48:00 CET 2010

I have used syslog-ng for many years and have been a faithful reader of the
mailing list, but do not believe
I have ever had occasion to post.  Thank you for an excellent product and
for the great support you have
provided.  I have always been able to solve problems by reading the
archives...until now.

I just completed an upgrade from source on several (6) systems from
syslog-ng 3.1.1 (OSE) to 3.1.2 and then 3.1.3.
All of them went smoothly, without error.  However, after the upgrade to
3.1.2, one of the systems began
reporting the hostname as "localhost" rather than the correct host name.
The problem persisted when I
upgraded to 3.1.3.  When I roll it back to 3.1.1 it reports the hostname
correctly.

All of the systmes are fedora.  Some are fc13, some are fc14.  The system
that failed is fc14.  It is
forwarding its logs to a central logger via tcp.

I have checked the following:
	hosts file is OK.  Contains only 127.0.0.1 entry as localhost
	dig -x returns the correct hostname
	hostname returns the correct hostname
	tcpdump confirms that syslog-ng is reporting "localhost"

I was unable to correct the problem by changing global options.  Global
options are:

options {
    flush_lines (0);
    time_reopen (10);
    log_fifo_size (1000);
    long_hostnames (off);
    use_dns (yes);
    use_fqdn (no);
    create_dirs (no);
    check_hostname(yes);
    chain_hostnames(no);
    keep_hostname (no);
    stats_freq (43200);
    mark_freq (1200);
    keep_timestamp (no);
#     send_time_zone (-04:00);
};

I have googled but have not found anything that seemed relavant.

Not sure how to procede to correct this situation.   Any ideas would be
appreciated.
I would be happy to post additional data that will help.