[syslog-ng] please help spread the word about syslog-ng

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Nov 26 16:47:45 CET 2010

Dear syslog-ng users,

You probably know that the motivation behind free software development
is in most cases the joy of seeing the use of our work by others. The
feedback you can give us and all the information you share about your
affair with syslog-ng.

I'm watching google alerts, reading blog posts where syslog-ng is
mentioned, because that's the fuel that keeps me going.

You probably know that running a commercial company and still keeping an
open source project alive has a lot of conflicts. It is a tricky
business to balance the needs of the community and the interests of an
enterprise. We may have made our mistakes in the past but we are really
trying to learn. (see my blog posts [1] and LWN articles [2] on the
topic).

One thing is sure: syslog-ng wouldn't be the thing it is today without
your support, ideas and your _use_ of syslog-ng.

In this spirit, I'd like to ask your involvement:
  1) provide feedback, either positive/negative, on this list, or on my
blog or even in private email.
  2) please help spread the word on syslog-ng, tell the world how and
why you are using it.

If I get asked what my profession is, I always get into trouble. Some
times I'm a developer, sometimes I'm a manager here at BalaBit, other
times I'm just a system administrator. But I'm not really good at words
and I definitely have less than enough time to advocate syslog-ng.

So please help me in this regard. The easiest way is to put the "I love
syslog-ng" badge on your blog or website. [3] Somewhat more time is
needed to produce a blog post or a FAQ entry. If you ever spared a cent
on using syslog-ng instead of something else, please contribute back.

Thanks. It is appreciated.

[1] http://bazsi.blogs.balabit.com/2010/08/syslog_ng_and_open_core_why_we_think_it_is_different/
[2] http://lwn.net/Articles/402298/
[3] http://www.balabit.com/network-security/syslog-ng/opensource-logging-system/community/badges