[syslog-ng] Better performance between udp, unix-stream or pipe ?

Yann I. yann.frm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 17:49:56 CET 2010

Hi !

I have a question about the use of udp, unix-stream or pipe. I would like to
forward a syslog message to the same syslog server like this :

|  log {
|     source (s_r_udp);    (<-- listen on UDP/514)
|
|     filter (....);
|     filter (....);
|     parser (...);
|
|     destination (d_local_syslog);  (<-- send the message to a local syslog
by using unix-stream, udp or pipe mecanism)
|  };

(...)

|  log {
|     source (s_local_syslog);    (<--- here I receive the messages sent by
the "d_syslog_loop")

|     filter (...);
|     filter (...);
|     parser (...);
|
|     destination (d_remote_syslog);

I'm looking for the better way to send syslog message to the same syslog
server : which mecanism provides the better performances : pipe, udp (by
using network) or unix-stream ?
Maybe the "pipe" is the better solution ?...

I'm using the syslog-ng OSE 3.1.2 on CentOS.

Regards,

Yann I.