[syslog-ng] memory exhausted in /opt/syslog-ng/etc/syslog-ng.conf at line 5347

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Sun Nov 14 11:03:47 CET 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 15:54 -0800, Mukarram Syed wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am getting the following error when starting syslog-ng.conf file
> which has more than 5000 lines in it and getting the following error:
>

> # service syslog-ng start
>
> memory exhausted in /opt/syslog-ng/etc/syslog-ng.conf at line 5347.

This is a lex/yacc error message. Since flex/bison (the lex/yacc
implementation syslog-ng is using by default) is quite dynamic, I'm
guessing you are using traditional lex and/or yacc.

Since the release tarballs I'm pushing out has the flex/bison code, I
guess you are regenerating those during compilation.

Make sure that you have bison/flex in your compile environment and make
sure that cfg-grammar.c and cfg-lex.c are regenerated using the proper
tools. (or make sure that your build env doesn't overwrite the ones
shipped in the tarball).

Although your config seems quite large, syslog-ng should be able to
handle them just fine.