[syslog-ng] use_fqdn()

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Thu Nov 11 20:11:55 CET 2010

> That doesnt seem to be working for me, use_fqdn(no) just kills all FQDNs everywhere regardless of $HOST* variable.

Assuming one has options{...}; :

  use_dns(yes); chain_hostnames(yes); keep_hostname(yes); use_fqdn(no);

And a UDP/TCP listener, it seems to me, based on the documentation,
that:

 - $HOST should return the hostname value embedded in the packet,
   unmodified
 - $HOST_FROM should return short/UFQDN of relaying host

 - $FULLHOST should return FQDN of embedded/original packet
   hostname value as processed by DNS Resolver
 - $FULLHOST_FROM should return the FQDN of the relaying host

If use_fqdn(yes) == True, then:

  $HOST == $FULLHOST (override)
  $HOST_FROM = $FULLHOST_FROM (Disable short names)

This doesn't seem to be the case, though.

Also, if keep_hostname(no) = TRUE, not sure what $FULLHOST or $HOST
would really be worth.

Highly ambiguous, or maybe I just haven't had my 5 vicodin yet today.

~BAS