[syslog-ng] Quick Questions

Alan McKinnon Alan.McKinnon at is.co.za
Tue May 25 21:11:53 CEST 2010

The manual says TLS is in the OSE

It's disk buffering that is in Premium

On Tuesday 25 May 2010 16:03:48 Patrick H. wrote:
> Oh ya, forgot about that. Premium edition feature again :-)
> It'd probably be best to contact balabit sales for all the details on the
> premium edition features. The mailing list is most familiar with the open
> source edition. Besides, thats what the sales people get paid for :-P
>

> Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:27:44 AM
> From: Clayton Dukes <cdukes at gmail.com><mailto:cdukes at gmail.com>
> <syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu><mailto:syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu> Subject:
> Re: [syslog-ng] Quick Questions
> 3) Doesn't syslog-ng do TLS encryption?
>

> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Patrick H.
> <syslogng at feystorm.net<mailto:syslogng at feystorm.net>> wrote: 1) What?
> Asynchronous/synchronous communication is a term used to describe 2 way
> communication over physical medium. Syslog-ng message relaying is one way
> and over tcp or udp.
>
> 2) Yes syslog-ng will send the unsent messages. You need the premium
> version for this feature.
>
> 3) You can use vpn tunnels or some other type of tunnel for this. Syslog-ng
> does not have any built-in transport encryption.
>
> 4) If youre asking are messages forwarded to remote syslog-ng server as
> soon as theyre received, it can be configured this way yes. Or it can
> buffer them and send in bursts.
>
> Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:20:58 AM
> From: Dyne Lai <dynelai at gmail.com><mailto:dynelai at gmail.com>
> To: syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu<mailto:syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu>
> Subject: [syslog-ng] Quick Questions
>
> Hi Syslog-ng Developers,
>
> I have a few general questions regarding syslog-ng as below.
> 1) What is the type of transmission (Asynchronous/Synchronous) used
> for the transfer of log messages between server and remote client?
>
> 2) I understand that Syslog-ng is able to store unsent messages from
> remote client to server in the local hardisk during network/system
> outrage. Will syslog-ng be able to resume with the unsent messages
> upon the revive of the network/system? If possible, how can we
> configure/setup to achieve that?
>
> 3) In view of security, how can we configure remote client and server
> to perform authentication (using X.509 certificates) during log
> message forwarding?
>
> 4) Is the forwarding of log message between remote client and server
> consider real-time? (assume syn=0)
>
> Do pardon if the questions appears ignorant.Thanks for the time!
>
> Best Regards,
> Dyne Lai
> Documentation:
> http://www.balabit.com/support/documentation/?product=syslog-ng FAQ:
> http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html

> Documentation:
> http://www.balabit.com/support/documentation/?product=syslog-ng FAQ:
> http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html
>

> --
>
> Clayton Dukes
> Documentation:
> http://www.balabit.com/support/documentation/?product=syslog-ng FAQ:
> [...]

Alan McKinnon
Systems Engineer^W Technician
Infrastructure Services
Internet Solutions

+27 11 575 7585

Please note: This email and its content are subject to the disclaimer as displayed at the following link http://www.is.co.za/legal/E-mail+Confidentiality+Notice+and+Disclaimer.htm. Should you not have Web access, send a mail to disclaimers at is.co.za and a copy will be emailed to you.