[syslog-ng] mis-claimed features: network link compression w/ TLS

Robin H. Johnson robbat2 at gentoo.org
Sun May 16 21:23:24 CEST 2010

The comparison table:
http://www.balabit.com/network-security/syslog-ng/comparing/detailed/

Lists:
"Support for network link compression when using TLS"
But I can't find it in the OSE at all.

There are NO calls to the OpenSSL COMP* functions, nor any usage of
compression functions that I can find.

The Flex and Yacc grammar DO include a 'compress' keyword, but data from
it is not actually used.

I'm looking for some reasonable compression to cut down on network
traffic one some Gentoo boxes where there is a very limited upstream
network connection. Traffic is about 2.4GiB/day, over a 1Mbit link.

Plain gzip after the fact gets >90% compression, but I'd like the logs
in near-realtime to the remote logging destinations (multiple).

I do also realize that we're going to be limited by packet compression,
unless we keep some form of running dictionary, but I think even with
that, we should get a good size reduction.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at gentoo.org