[syslog-ng] syslog file is empty

Lance Laursen lance at demonware.net
Sat May 15 01:50:41 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 2:27 AM, Андрей <dukenukem at vpcit.ru> wrote:

> I'm using syslog-ng to collect logs from different devices and everything
> is
> Ok - all log files and directories are created and being written, except
> syslog log files - they are just empty (e.g. /var/log/hostname/syslog size
> is
> zero). Here is my config:
>
> monitoring:~# cat /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf
> @version: 3.0
> #
> # Syslog-ng configuration file, compatible with default Debian syslogd
> # installation. Originally written by anonymous (I can't find his name)
> # Revised, and rewrited by me (SZALAY Attila <sasa at debian.org>)

> destination d_syslog { file("/var/$HOST/log/syslog" suppress(15)); };

Hi,

You've got your destination path wrong, it's pointed to /var/$hostname/log
instead of /var/log/$hostname. Here take a look:

Change it to this:
destination d_syslog { file("/var/log/$HOST/syslog" suppress(15)); };

You likely now have a whole bunch of /var/hostname directories in /var :),
you might want to 'cp -ar' them to /var/log after fixing your config.

--
Lance Laursen
Demonware Systems Engineer