[syslog-ng] How to turn logging into the .log files

Clayton Dukes cdukes at gmail.com
Fri May 7 17:28:47 CEST 2010

Hi Wagner,
A couple of problems with your config:
1. I believe that prior to syslog-ng v3.x, you could only have one source
defined.
try removing your source net definition, it's a duplicate of "s_all" and
there's no need for it.
 - be sure to update any reference to "net" and change them to "s_all"

2. You have destinations and filters with the same name, I'm pretty sure
this is not allowed.

Try something like this:

source s_all {
        # message generated by Syslog-NG
        internal();
        # standard Linux log source (this is the default place for the
syslog()
        # function to send logs to)
        unix-stream("/dev/log");
        # messages from the kernel
        file("/proc/kmsg" log_prefix("kernel: "));
        # use the following line if you want to receive remote UDP logging
messages
        # (this is equivalent to the "-r" syslogd flag)
        udp();
};

destination d_Cisco7206 {
file("/var/log/routers/cisco7206.log"
create_dirs(yes) );
};

destination d_Metrosampa-USP_CCE {
file("/var/log/routers/uspcce.log"
create_dirs(yes) );
};

filter f_Cisco7206 {
host("10.0.0.2");
};

filter f_Metrosampa-USP_CCE {
host("10.0.0.3");
};

log {
source(s_all);
filter(f_Cisco7206);
destination(d_Cisco7206);
};

log {
source(s_all);
filter(f_Metrosampa-USP_CCE);

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Wagner Pereira <wpereira at pop-sp.rnp.br>wrote:

> [...]
> #         news.none;mail.none     -/var/log/debug
> log {
>         source(s_all);
>         filter(f_debug);
>         destination(df_debug);
> };
>

> # *.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
> #         auth,authpriv.none;\
> #         cron,daemon.none;\
> #         mail,news.none          -/var/log/messages
> log {
>         source(s_all);
>         filter(f_messages);
>         destination(df_messages);
> };
>
> # *.emerg                         *
> log {
>         source(s_all);
>         filter(f_emerg);
>         destination(du_all);
> };
>

> # daemon.*;mail.*;\
> #         news.crit;news.err;news.notice;\
> #         *.=debug;*.=info;\
> #         *.=notice;*.=warn       |/dev/xconsole
> log {
>         source(s_all);
>         filter(f_xconsole);
>         destination(dp_xconsole);
> };
>
> log {
> source(net);
> filter(Cisco7206);
> destination(Cisco7206);
> };
>
> log {
> source(net);
> filter(Metrosampa-USP_CCE);
> destination(Metrosampa-USP_CCE);
> };
> ---------------------------------
>
> --
>
> Wagner Pereira
>
> PoP-SP/RNP - Ponto de Presença da RNP em São Paulo
> CCE/USP - Centro de Computação Eletrônica da Universidade de São Paulo
> http://www.pop-sp.rnp.br
> Tel. (11) 3091-8901
>

> Em 7/5/2010 10:19, Clayton Dukes escreveu:
>
> Hi Wagner,
> If you need help with LogZilla, please let me know.
> For syslog-ng, it would help if you posted your syslog-ng.conf file.
>

> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Wagner Pereira <wpereira at pop-sp.rnp.br>wrote:
>
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> When I installed Syslog-ng, I configured it to log all the device's
>> activities into the .log files. It worked well for some weeks.
>>
>> In the last week, I tried to use Logzilla ( former PhP-Syslog-ng) but I
>> can't successful, then I removed Logzilla yesterday.
>>
>> After I removed Logzilla, I noticed that all the activities are been
>> recorded into the /var/log/messages file and no longer into the .log
>> files I've created for this purpose, originally.
>>
>> What should I configure to turn logging in those .log files? I already
>> have the syslog-ng.conf configured properly.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Wagner Pereira
>>
>> PoP-SP/RNP - Ponto de Presença da RNP em São Paulo
>> CCE/USP - Centro de Computação Eletrônica da Universidade de São Paulo

Clayton Dukes