[syslog-ng] forwarding host only gives name, not IP

Jan Schaumann jschauma at netmeister.org
Wed Mar 24 03:40:37 CET 2010

Hello,

I have the following setup:

                +---+
hostA ---+      V   |
         +---> syslog1 ----> syslog2
hostB ---+

That is, hostA, hostB and syslog1 are all logging to syslog1, syslog1
then takes all the messages and forwards them to syslog2.

On syslog2, I'd like to get the IP addresses from each of the three
hosts it's receiving messages from.

syslog2 has "use_dns(no)" as a global option.

When I have "keep_hostname(no)" or "chain_hostnames(no)" on syslog2, I
only get syslog1's IP address in my logs, even for messages from hostA
or hostB.

If I put "keep_hostname(yes)" or "chain_hostnames(yes)" on syslog2, I
get the IP addresses from hostA or hostB, but from syslog1 I get the
short hostname (ie "syslog1").  If I add "use_fqdn(yes)" to syslog1's
config, I get "syslog1.full.domain" on syslog2.

However, I'd like for messages from syslog1 to arrive with the IP
address, not the hostname on syslog2.

I'm sure I'm missing something that'll be obvious in hindsight... just
what?

Thanks!
-Jan