[syslog-ng] Two instances of syslog-ng on the same host?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Tue Jun 29 15:07:25 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 22:42 -0400, John R. Dunning wrote:
> From: "Patrick H." <syslogng at feystorm.net>
>     Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:27:41 -0600
>
>     The second instance youre trying to launch is using the first instance's
>     config.
>     Error initializing source driver; source='src', id='src#0'
>      From that message you can see its trying to initialize the source
>     callced 'src'. In your second config, your source is called 's_node',
>     the first instance is called 'src'. Make sure youre passing the proper
>     '-f' option to syslog-ng when you start it.
>
> Pretty sure I am.
>
> It's the second config (the one for the "main" instance) which has a
> source called "src".  It's the proxy one (the first one) which has a
> source called "s_node".
>
> The start for the proxy uses -f <special-proxy-conf> whereas the start
> for the main one just lets it default to syslog-ng.conf.

Well, the string "/dev/log" can only come from a config file, so I'd
strongly suspect that there's something wrong with the configuration
file being used.

You could confirm that the good one is being used by checking the
command line arguments, or if those look sane, by validating via strace,
that syslog-ng is indeed opening the intended configuration file.