[syslog-ng] Two instances of syslog-ng on the same host?

Patrick H. syslogng at feystorm.net
Sun Jun 27 03:33:10 CEST 2010

Yes, that should work just fine. I run a box with 4 syslog instances and
they all place nice together. My setup isnt exactly the same, but I have
no problems which you are experiencing. My setup: I have a master
syslog-ng process that does nothing but accept connections from remote
hosts and from the local system. That process then relays the messages
to other local syslog-ng processes which do the actual work (lots and
lots of parsing).
I only included the options and source sections as theyre the only ones
that matter.

Master syslog-ng process that accepts from local & remote & forwards to
other local processes
@version: 3.0
# syslog-ng configuration file.
#
# This should behave pretty much like the original syslog on RedHat. But
# it could be configured a lot smarter.
#
# See syslog-ng(8) and syslog-ng.conf(5) for more information.
#

options {
    time_reopen(1);
    use_dns(no);
    use_fqdn(yes);
    keep_hostname(yes);
    create_dirs(yes);
    perm(0644);
    dir_perm(0755);
    log_iw_size(50000);
    log_fifo_size(100000);
    #time_sleep(1);
};

source s_sys {
    file("/proc/kmsg" program-override("kernel"));
    unix-stream ("/dev/log");
    internal();
};
source s_net {
    tcp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514) max-connections(1000));
    udp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514));
};

syslog-ng that accepts the forwarded messages
@version: 3.0
# syslog-ng configuration file.
#
# This should behave pretty much like the original syslog on RedHat. But
# it could be configured a lot smarter.
#
# See syslog-ng(8) and syslog-ng.conf(5) for more information.
#

options {
    time_reopen(1);
    long_hostnames(off);
    use_dns(no);
    use_fqdn(no);
    keep_hostname(yes);
    create_dirs(yes);
    perm(0644);
    dir_perm(0755);
    #log_fetch_limit(100000);
    #log_iw_size(200000);
    #log_fifo_size(400000);
    flush_lines(50);
    flush_timeout(5000);
    #stats_freq(10);
    #stats_level(2);
    #time_sleep(1);
};

source s_master {
    #syslog(ip(127.0.0.1) port(515) transport('tcp') so_keepalive(yes)
log_iw_size(1000));
    tcp(ip(127.0.0.1) port(515) flags('syslog-protocol'));
};
source s_syslog {
    internal();
};