[syslog-ng] proper filtering messages with java Exceptions

Lance Laursen lance at demonware.net
Tue Jun 22 19:52:18 CEST 2010

> Is it possible to correct save all logs ? Of course all messages in
> examle is one log message. Log4j save it like this:
> 2010-06-18 10:53:03,242 [PROGRAM NAME-MainThread-MainThread] ERROR -
> FATAL ERROR
> java.lang.Exception: Invalid value TryCount: 0
>        at com.td.Sender.initialize(Sender.java:30)
>        at com.td.Main.main(Main.java:123)
>
> I want to obtain same effect in syslog-ng.
> Have you any suggestion ? Please help.

Regards
> Frank

Hi Frank,

I have had success matching and logging multi-line logs (specifically
lighttpd) by using unix-dgram("/dev/log") in my main local source rather
than unix-stream("/dev/log"). This unfortunately assumes you are logging to
a local syslog-ng client. If you are logging straight from your java app to
a (network) syslog-ng server via UDP or TCP, sorry it looks like you'll have
to wait for PE 3.2

--
Lance Laursen
Demonware Systems Engineer