[syslog-ng] proper filtering messages with java Exceptions

Zoltán Pallagi pzolee at balabit.hu
Tue Jun 22 14:03:49 CEST 2010

Hi,

You cannot do that now, because syslog-ng processes every line as a new
message.

In PE 3.2 (coming soon) you can give regular expression to specify
multiple lines as a message, so it will solve these problems (like java
logs, tomcat logs and so on).
As far as I know this feature will also be available in OSE 3.2 (but I
am not sure in this)

Franciszek Zmarły wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a problem with filtering messages having java Exceptions. I send
> logs from many jvm processes to one syslog-ng server and save them to
> different files.
>
> Example one message from log4j (dump from wireshark)
> <139>Jun 18 10:53:03 td2/td2 [PROGRAM NAME - MainThread] ERROR - FATAL
> ERROR
> <139>Jun 18 10:53:03 td2/td2 java.lang.Exception: Invalid value
> TryCount: 0
> <139>Jun 18 10:53:03 td2/td2 at com.td.Sender.initialize(Sender.java:30)
> <139>Jun 18 10:53:03 td2/td2 td2 at com.td.Main.main(Main.java:123)
>
> I use changed thread name (PROGRAM NAME) as filter in syslog-ng
> configuration
> filter f_td_p1 { match("PROGRAM NAME"); };
>
> but in this configuration ony first line of message are saved (from log
> file)
> 2010-06-18 10:53:03 td2 [PROGRAM NAME-MainThread] ERROR - FATAL ERROR
>
> Is it possible to correct save all logs ? Of course all messages in
> examle is one log message. Log4j save it like this:
> 2010-06-18 10:53:03,242 [PROGRAM NAME-MainThread-MainThread] ERROR -
> FATAL ERROR
> java.lang.Exception: Invalid value TryCount: 0
>         at com.td.Sender.initialize(Sender.java:30)
>         at com.td.Main.main(Main.java:123)
>
> I want to obtain same effect in syslog-ng.
> Have you any suggestion ? Please help.
>
> Regards
> Frank

pzolee