[syslog-ng] logic and duplicate suppression

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Wed Jul 28 17:04:46 CEST 2010

I have a couple of scenarios where I'm looking to enhance how I handle
and process some logs.  I'm looking for suggestions on what my options
are, but maybe these are potential feature requests?

1. In using a parser (cvs or the patterndb), I'd like to use some
conditionals based on a resultant macro value.  So for example, if I
have an sshd authentication log message with a source address in a
macro and that address is contained w/in a specific prefix, I'd like to
handle that message differently.  Perhaps not log it all or set another
MACRO to a certain value.

2. I'd like to be able to suppress duplicate messages even if they are
not necessarily contiguous at the destination.  So for example, if I
have a SSH client that generates a log of its SSH client protocol
and software, I don't need to see that over and over again (e.g. as
you might commonly see today in SSH brute force attacks).

John