[syslog-ng] monitoring SQL-Server-ERRORLOG

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Wed Jul 14 11:24:51 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 16:28 +0200, Schöppel Marcus wrote:
> Hi all at syslog-ng-mailing-list!
>

> I’m trying to monitor the MSSQLServer ERROR-logfile but
>
> I get a logentry for every single letter that is added to the logfile:
>

> ->
>
> May 18 13:57:40 test mssql: L
> May 18 13:57:40 test mssql: o
> May 18 13:57:40 test mssql: g
> May 18 13:57:40 test mssql: i
> May 18 13:57:40 test mssql: n
> May 18 13:57:40 test mssql:
> May 18 13:57:40 test mssql: f
> May 18 13:57:40 test mssql: a
> May 18 13:57:40 test mssql: i
> May 18 13:57:40 test mssql: l
> May 18 13:57:40 test mssql: e
> May 18 13:57:40 test mssql: d
> <-
>

> This seems to stem from the encoding of the file (UTF-16LE) because
>
> with other logfiles this problem doesn’t arise.
>
> I suppose it would help if the “encoding”-Parameter of the file-source
> would work
>
> but syslog-ng/cygwin (Version 3.0.1) won’t start when I add it no
> matter which encoding I use.
>

> I tried this workaround-cronjob:
>
> -      copy file somewhere
>
> -      convert to UTF-8 using iconv
>
> -      give the same timestamp to the converted logfile
>
> so that syslog-ng doesn’t transfer the whole file again
>
> -      monitoring the converted file with syslog-ng
>
> This doesn’t work completely correct as despite assigning the same
> timestamp
>
> the whole file is sometimes transferred again (and not just the new
>
> entries).
>

> Is this problem (following this UTF-16LE-Windowsfile (easily))
>
> not resolvable by using the cygwin-version of syslog-ng??

hmm.. I haven't used the cygwin version myself. Does it even accept the
encoding() option, or reject it as a syntax error?

If syslog-ng can be convinced to accept that option, it should
definitely work.

> Or am I maybe using a wrong encoding spelling?

Again, can you post your configuration sample?

> Does it work using the commercial windows-version of the agent?

Not right now, the agent can only read plain text files, which it
converts from the local encoding (something like Windows-1250) to UTF8
when it sends it to the server.

However this feature is on our longer term roadmap (e.g. not yet
scheduled for an actual release).